Wednesday, July 10, 2019

More Traveller Literary Inspiration - The TAS

As I browsed through old issues of Planet Stories (in particular Vol 2 #7, Summer 1944) to my great delight I found this:

A welcome sight at Class-C and better Starports everywhere!


I never knew that the TAS could have been modeled on a real wartime organization, but it's not too hard to imagine that the writers of Traveller came across these ads while reading old sci-fi tales. 

Has anyone else seen advertisements like these in pulp magazines or other sources? How long did this TAS last?

4 comments:

  1. I remember seeing a TAS lounge in the lower level of Tulsa International Airport well as late as the mid 70s.

    I remember they sold flight life insurance, offered coffee, and had comfy-ish chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, didn't know this, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a matter of fact, the organization still exists. The organization was originally created by a Mayor of St. Louis in the mid-19th century to aid pioneers traveling West. The present remit of the Society is to assist stranded travelers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! Thank you for this information.

    ReplyDelete