Presenting possibly the least useful skill introduced in the Advanced Character Creation books!
Definition, from Book 6 Scouts
The individual has been trained in the design of starships and small craft. Knowledge of the requirements for accurate, usable ship design plans and of the details of ship design are part of this skill. The character is capable of acting as a naval architect, subject to the level of skill attained.
Naval Architect-1 is sufficient to occasionally design ships, especially for personal or group use, but generally requiring three or four times the time called for by a professional (about 16 weeks). Naval Architect-2 allows design of a ship in 10-12 weeks. Naval Architect-3 indicates a level of skill approaching professional. Naval Architect-4+ allows the individual to function as a professional naval architect.
This skill operates in conjunction with the established starship design and construction rules, and does not allow the invention of new devices or equipment.
Proposed: a PC with NA Skill can, subject to skill throws -
- Correctly identify the (Tech level/tonnage/computer model/drive specs/armament/design purpose) of any ship see directly or detected by sensors.
- tell where a ship was manufactured - by polity or the specific shipyard!
- Increase the probability of the Select program directing fire to a desired component. Predicting where a ship’s ‘weak spots’ are.
- Guess the interior layout of a ship or space station without direct observation. Creating ‘best guess’ interior maps of ships or stations.
- Reduce the interior space requirements of drive components, to free up space inside the ship for other uses.
- Discover secret or hidden compartments in a ship.
- Note the presence of retrofits to a ship, and guess their nature.
- Identify battle damage.
- Reduce the cost of repairs by 1D x skill level %
- Provide a +DM to some repair throws in ship combat.
- Substitute for Engineering at NA-x level.
- Identify access points besides the airlocks.
- Know where best to cut through bulkheads, and do it faster.
might make this skill useful? Have you ever played or played alongside a PC who had the NA skill? Discuss in the comments.
Image Credit: Pixabay